Birds are abundant and can be observed and heard almost all day and night.
Hacienda Verde is inside an Important Bird Area - IBA (EC107) where the last Turquoise-throated Puffleg (Eriocnemis godini) was collected 150 years ago without any recent records.
It is also included within the Endemic Bird Area (EBAs) 042 - Northern Central Andes.
Good place to find the Giant Hummingbird (Patagonia gigas) and the Purple Collared Woodstar (Myrtis fanny)
Birdwatching is offered in our Day Tours, B&B and Educational Visits.
Click any image to start slideshow
Complete Bird Species List (PDF)
Common Bird Species:
- Raptors as the Harris's Hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus), American Kestrel (Falco sparverius), Black-chested buzzard-eagle (Geranoaetus melanoleucus)
- Hummingbirds as Sparkling violetear (Colibri coruscans), Rufous-tailed hummingbird (Amazilia tzacatl), Purple collared woodstar (Myrtis fanny) and Giant hummingbird (Patagonia gigas)
- Crimson mantled Woodpecker (Colaptes rivolii)
- Vermillion flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus)
- Tanagers as the Blue-and-yellow tanager (Pipraeidea bonariensis), Blue-gray tanager (Thraupis episcopus)and Scrub tanager (Tangara vitriolina)
- Southern yellow-grossbeak (Pheucticus chrysogaster)
- Rufous collared sparrow (Zonotrichia capensis)
- Ringed kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata)
- And others
Rare Bird Species
- Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
- Buff-fronted owl (Aegolius harrisii)
- Golden rumped euphonia (Euphonia cyanocephala)
- Andean Siskin (Carduelis spinescens)
- Migratory birds such as the Summer tanager (Piranga rubra) and Black-billed Cockoo